Question
Posted by: RW | 2012/03/16

Fat cat

My 13 year old cat is overweight...she weighs 7kg! She gets very little food. She only gets 40g per day (Hill Science diet - the LIGHT one) but she''s not losing any weight..in fact I''m sure she''s gain some weight! She only get her dry food and she''s definitely not getting food from anywhere else as there is no way out of our garden (we have a cat fence) and I''m the only one feeding her. She''s not very active - she sleeps most of the day and her idea of playing is to lie on the capet and swat at a toy/string rather than chasing after it! She seems quite happy though and still moves around quite easily.

What could the problem be? She''s always been overweight...we had her on Hills m/d a couple of years ago but it also didn''t make a real difference.

Many thanks!

Hi FW

You could consider the following:

a) Dietary Managment - Hill's R/D/ or Hills W/D diets - note that the cat must be fed according to the manufacturers guidelines. Enroll on a Hill's weight watchers program - discuss this with your local veterinary practice. Please do not feed ad-libitum.
b) Lifestyle changes - Increase your cats exercise with play e.g. laser lights, toy fishing rods e.t.c. Encourage your cat to move by placing the food bowl between different rooms or using feeding toys.
c) Taking your cat to the vet to ensure that there is no underlying condition resulting in obesity such as endocrine problems, iatrogenic factors e.t.c

I do hope this helps.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/03/22

Hi FW

You could consider the following:

I do hope this helps.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Tania | 2012/03/19

Overweight, not obese. Had 4 old cats - up to 18 and 21 years - their aveage weight was between 6 and 8 kg during their life, and also got the Hills light - and were happy and healthy. They were not starved, and also had some treats - only a few - so enjoyed life. I am anti obese animals - but a few grams extra is not the worst if they are happy and eating healthy. Starving to get them to the right weight, can casue stress on some organs - so find a happy midle path.

Reply to Tania