Posted by: Rocky | 2009-07-06

Fat Burners and weight loss

I took fat burners and lost 10kg over 6 months. I eat a healthy diet of 5 small meals a day and exercise regularly.
Breakfast - fresh fruit and oats
Snack- Banana
Lunch - Yoghurt, chicken/veg wrap
Snack - Apple and raisins
Whey protein shake after a workout
Dinner - Legumes/meat/salad (often no carbs)

Occasionaly(once in 2 weeks) I will have a muffin/scone with jam and butter.

I exercise every day.

I was 81kg and went on the X-diet on which I lost 11kg. Thereafter, my weight stayed between 68-70kg.

I now weigh 59kg after taking the fat burners as I just could not get more weight off after I had lost the 11kg.

My question is, once I stop taking these fat burners which is in 2 weeks time, am I going to put on the weight by following my existing diet?

I have started taking a whey protein shake after my workouts to increase my lean muscle.

My portion sizes are definitely not too large either and I watch what I eat over the weekend.

Will I be able to reduce my gym sessions to 4-5 times a week on this diet and not put the weight on after I stop taking these fat burners?

Is the whey protein shake good to take?

Dear Rocky
Firstly congratulations for losing those 21 kg - you are a ***star***! If you will gain weight if you stop taking fat burners, depends on what these fat burners contain: a) If they contain synephrine or bitter orange extract or any other form of ephedra, etc, which acts both as an appetite suppressant and a stimulant, then once your appetite is no longer suppressed you may gain weight once more, b)If they contain caffeine or guarana, which act as stimulants, then you may also feel less hyped up and tend to gain weight c) If they contain green tea extract at a level that can promote weightloss or chromium, then once gain stopping the supplements may cause weight gain c)Most of the other ingredients in these fat burners do not really have an effect on weightloss, so stopping should not cause weight gain. If you stick to your diet and also keep up your exercise at 4 times a week, you should be able to maintain your weight. The whey protein shake is not really ideal after exercise as this is the time when you should rather have a low-fat or fat-free carbohydrate boost to help replenish your glycogen stores which fuel your exercise. As your diet is rather low in calcium-rich foods you can try having fat-free yoghurt or milk instead of the whey protein shake to ensure that you are ingesting 1200 mg of calcium a day.
Good luck with the road ahead