Posted by: Paam | 2008-11-13

Fat belly

Hi, I weigh 88kg &  my height is 1.6. I had a gall stone operation and recently been diagnosed with IBS. I have developed a big belly after the op and have been trying hard to shed off the weight especially around the waist. I do push ups every morning and skipping in the after noons but I' m not getting any results. What can I do to loose weight.

Dear Paam
Your present BMI = 34,4 which is indeed high. It would help a great deal if you could lose weight. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25 you would need to weigh 64 kg! Because you have IBS, I would like to recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that he/she can work out a specific diet prescription for you that not only makes you lose weight, but also helps to alleviate the symptoms of the IBS. The exercises you are doing are excellent, but you also need to reduce your energy intake with a low-fat energy-reduced diet. The dietitian will work out the diet for you.

Posted by: Bell | 2008-11-13

Thats usually the hardest and last place to loose weight and inches from. I know. I am also .6 and I am down to 58kgs and have 4 more to go to get to my goal weight.

You need to do more focused ab workouts (see the section on health24, been a lifesaver for me) and just keep at it. It took weeks to see results and then from there it just seemed to fly off and for the time in my life, I almost have a flat stomach,

Just keep at it, it will eventually show.

Keep the foods low fat and check the salt content, if you anything like me your body will suck up all water and makes you bigger than you actually are, reducing my salt made a big difference too.

Good Luck!

Reply to Bell