Question
Posted by: zan | 2010-07-08

fat

am a 23yr old female tht is over weight and feel bit bad abt it....i hve these cravings tht will not go away no matter wht i do they always there even if am full...............wht can i do to stop this coz i feel so unactractive and ugly at the moment

Dear Zan
Cravings may indicate that you are not eating sufficient high-fibre, low-GI carbohydrates during the day. An inadequate carb intake can lead to low serotonin levels in the brain which in turn can trigger cravings for foods like bread, sweets, chocolate, etc. By eating a low-fat, low-GI diet with a reduced energy content you should be able to lose weight successfully and not suffer from cravings. Because the low-GI diet is quite a tricky diet to get used to, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial stages. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you combine a low-fat, low-GI diet with 30 min of daily exercise (brisk walking, cycling, swimming, skipping, etc) then you should start losing weight and control these cravings.

2
Posted by: JM | 2010-07-08

Hi there, I have lost 16kg, and have found out a few things doing it.
1. Everytime I ate something with a high fat content, i also got cravings for more. So I just try not to eat them.
2. I do not know what your diet consists of but something people forget is that 1kg of veggies, contains a lot less energy than 1 pie. Yet I can eat 1 or even 2 pies at a seating, but I definitely cannot eat a kg of veggies at a go.
3. As soon as I ate too little, I got ill - Your body needs the energy to keep running at optimal level.

So, I know I am not a expert, but I do know what you are going through. Just make good choices when it comes to food, and become more active, even if already. Try doing even 15min Cardio daily (I do mine kunchtime). It will take some time, but as soon as you start seeing results it will become easier.

Reply to JM
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-08

Dear Zan