Posted by: DS | 2009-03-04

Fasting - No sugar

For lent (which started a week agao) i gave up sugar for my fast.

Generally although I usually stick to a healthy diet, I have one weekness - sugar. I have to have my fix every day, it doesn' t matter how much or how little, I just have to have it and my meal / day just seems incomplete without it.

Anyway, since I have stopped the sugar I feel really bad. It' s as if I have no energy (the symptoms are the same as when l have low blood pressure), I have had a bout or two of nausea as well. also i have this constant hole in my stomach and it doesn' t matter what I eat, I do not feel satisfied.

My questions:
is this normal?
is my body having some sort of withdrawel symptoms?
what can i do/eat to combat this?

Please advise.

Dear DS
I must say that I think it is very good of you to give up sugar for Lent - I noticed a headline the other day that one of the bishops suggested parishioners should give up SMS's for Lent! Anyway if you are having the symptoms you describe, then you may well suffer from low blood sugar or hypoglycaemia. I would recommend that you ask your gp to send you for tests to find out if you have got hypoglycaemia or not. If you do then you should please see a clinical dietitian for a low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. By eating foods with a low-GI and having 6 small meals a day the dietitian will help you to prevent your blood sugar from dropping to such low levels and thus stop the symptoms. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also do a Search on the Diet Site with 'Hypoglycaemia’ to read more about this condition. Best regards

Posted by: SUE | 2009-03-05

Reply to SUE
Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-05

Lent is Catholic Ramadan :-)

Posted by: Sue | 2009-03-04

What is lent?

Reply to Sue