Posted by: yashin | 2009-09-03

Fasting and training

Muslims fast once a year for around 30 days. From sunrise to sunset they eat or drink nothing (around 12-14 hours).

Is it advisable to be training during this time, (I do weights after the early breakfast and then some cardio 2 hours before we can eat again).

What should our eating program be ?

My biggest concern is that I am not getting enough food in the evenings.

Dear Yashin
I am well aware of the dietary restrictions that apply during Ramadan. I am also worried that if you exercise during the day when your blood sugar levels may be very low (esp doing that cardio 2 hours before you eat again), that you will be doing yourself more harm than good. Could you perhaps try to do your exercises before your breakfast and after you have had a light meal in the evening which you can follow with a slightly more satisfying meal about an hour after exercising. I know this requires even more sacrifices from you (having to get up even earlier) and putting off having a large meal at sunset, but if you do want to continue with your exercise then you do need sufficient energy to sustain you.
Wishing you well over the fast