Question
Posted by: ME | 2011/04/05

FASTING AND RUNNING

Hi I run 4 times a week and sometimes aerobics 5 times a week am 31years old and my weight is between 78-76kg(want to go below 76kg)I have a low blood sugar,I recently went on fasting where I eat fruits and veg mosty ,my vision started to be blurr,I became moody,nauseous and huge headaches how to overcome this conditions and be able to focus.

Dear Me
Although I am a most ardent supporter of fruits and vegetables which are extremely healthy foods, it is important to eat a well balanced diet and to have regular meals if you suffer from low blood sugar or hypoglycaemia and do intensive aerobic exercise like running 4 times a week and aerobics 5 times a week. Your diet needs to contain a mixture of foods both with a low and a high glycaemic index (GI) - some high-GI foods as an instant source of energy when you are doing your intensive exercise and immediately afterwards to replenish your glycogen stores and low-GI foods during the rest of the day to stabilise your blood sugar and insulin levels. Because you have hypoglycemia and do such intensive exercise, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with an appropriate low-GI diet to control the hypoglycaemia, which also contains some high-GI foods for those times when you exercise. The symptoms you describe are linked to low blood sugar, so please consult a registered dietitian who specialises in sports nutrition. It is also not advisable to try to fast when you do strenuous exercise. The Department of Human Nutrition at the University of the North-West has done a lot of research in the field of sports nutrition, and you could contact them for advice if you live near Potchefstroom?

1

Dear Me