Question
Posted by: mowzy | 2010/01/13

fasting

Hi diet doc
happy new year to you. I am currently on a 21 day fast for religious reasons. its a wet fast so duirng the day i drink tea, coffee, cuppa soups, juice, herbal tea anything liquid. I also have a mixture of molasses, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in water 1 or 2X per day. At night i have a green salad with no meat, cheese and avo are optional and dressing. is this healthy? I also need to lose weight so would like to know what the best thing to do after the fast will be in terms of my body not retaining everything i ate because the fast put me in store mode. Please help. by the way a am 1.6 m and weight 94 so need to lose 30kgs

Dear Mowzy
Happy New Year to you too. Basically it is possible to fast during the day for long periods provided you make sure that you do drink liquids to prevent dehydration, particularly in this hot time of the year. Your fast does make provision for this. However, eating only a green salad with some cheese and avo at night, may not be sufficient to keep you from feeling faint and dizzy. Please be very careful that you don't injure yourself and make sure to have some sugar in your tea or coffee and to drink some fruit juice to keep your blood sugar levels from decreasing too drastically during the day. I think you should make sure that you eat a balanced low-fat meal in the evening if possible. 21 days is also a long time! Once you have completed the fast you can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Do however, wait a few days before you start the exercise because you may be feeling tired and limp after the fast. First let your body adjust to having a normal food intake again before you do energetic exercise. If you can lose those 30 kg then your weight would be back in the normal range with a BMI of 25.
Good luck with the fast, but please be careful

1

Dear Mowzy