Question
Posted by: rashieda | 2008/09/04

fasting

i am fasting for religeous reasons. i start at sunrise and don' t eat anything from sunrise to sunset. At night i eat a good meal. and wake up at 4.30am to eat breakfast. I am worried i' m not getting enough nutrients. i feel very tired and run down during the day. What multivitamin/ supplements can you recommend.

Dear Rashieda
I presume that you are participating in Ramadan? The reason why you are feeling tired and run down is probably not due to a lack of nutrients like vitamins and minerals, but because your blood sugar drops to such low levels because of the lack of food, that it makes you feel limp and faint. If you continue feeling so weak and tired, I would recommend that you have your medical dr test your blood sugar and insulin levels to see if you suffer from hypoglycaemia or insulin resistance. If this should be the case then it you may require a dispensation from your religious authority not to fast so strictly during Ramadan. Getting up at 4:30 am will also make you feel exhausted unless you go to bed very early.
Wishing you well over the fast.

4
Posted by: Muslim Mum | 2008/09/05

Bel - thanks. I never really thought of Ensure before. I will definately keep that in mind.

Rashieda - as a breasfeeding mum you should not be fasting. Your baby is not going to get the benefit of your breastmilk because your body also needs the nutrients which also needs to be passed on to your baby. Last year I did not fast the entire month because i was still breastfeeding. I know its harder to catch up with these fasts later on but you have to consider what' s best for you &  baby. Remember Allah is most compasionate &  merciful has made such provisions for the young, elderly, sick, pregnant &  breastfeeding mothers.

Reply to Muslim Mum
Posted by: Rashieda | 2008/09/04

Shukran muslim mum. I did not fast last year as my baby was born on 1 Ramadaan. i havent properly stopped breast feeding yet. This year fasting is a bit tougher than i remember. I will go and buy Berocca right now.

Reply to Rashieda
Posted by: Bel | 2008/09/04

Ramadaan Mubarak!
My partner is also fasting and I have bought him Ensure meal replacement formula. Unlike supplements where the focus tends to be on one aspect, Ensure is a complete meal replacement (NOT a supplement). You can mix it in water or in milk and have it in the morning (especially towards the end of the fast when your stomach has strunk and you can' t really eat much) and that will make sure that you have enough to help you keep going during the day. Chocolate tastes the best!

Reply to Bel
Posted by: Muslim Mum | 2008/09/04

Ramadaan Mubarak.

U will feel tired &  run down because firstly our sleeping patterns are altered &  the fact that we cannot consume anything for about 13hrs &  lets admit it we cannot really have a proper meal at 4:30 in the morning.

I found that Berocca really does the trick. It gives you that little boost for the day but be sure to drink plenty of water after taking it as it tends to make you a bit thirsty.

Also having a banana really seems to keep the enerygy up as well.

Good luck with the rest of ramdaan.

Reply to Muslim Mum