Question
Posted by: Nelisa | 2008/08/21

fasting

Hello
I usually have to fast for religoius reasons. thefast can be 3 days, not food, no drinking (not even water).
I noticed that my body has become ugly and flabby, and I have morecellulite etc.
I want to go to gym and build muscle. How can I do this while having to fast for 3 days without anything every month, on average? I am 29 and am petite. I weigh around 47kg' s.
How can I work around this and can this fasting cause any health problems in thelong run?
thank you for your help,
regrds,Nelisa

Dear Nelisa
This is indeed a problem. If your religion demands that you fast for 3 days every month during which you are not allowed to even drink water (something that I think is highly dangerous), and this is affecting your health then I think you need to discuss the problem with your religious leader. You cannot contemplate doing any exercise and try to build muscles during the fast days and for 2-3 days before and after such a stressful period. The human body can probably survive abstaining from food for 3 days a month without too many problems, but repeatedly going without water or liquids for 3 days every month can be harmful. You can damage your kidneys and develop dehydration which in severe cases can be fatal. The Muslim religion that requires adherents to fast for a month each year over Ramadan, does allow their followers to eat and drink once the sun has set, because of the dangers associated with not drinking anything, esp in hot climates. I would recommend that you do drink liquids even when fasting. If you are worried about your health or exhibit any unusual symptoms (dizziness, fainting, headaches, extreme tiredness, etc) then please have a medical checkup so that the dr can determine if you are lacking in any nutrients (from the fasting) or have a so-called electrolyte imbalances (due to not drinking liquids).
Take care

1
Posted by: Anonym | 2008/08/22

You ought to drink atleast 3 liters of water while fasting.

Reply to Anonym