Question
Posted by: possible | 2013-02-22

fast weight loos

hi doc,ive recently visited a deititian who advised that i should lose 20 kilos to get to my body''s ideal (healthy)weight.she gave me a diet to follow which was mostly fruit n vegies n fish ,was allowed to eat only certain fruit n vegies and nothing else,i got bored with the diet in 3 days,and opted to do it my own way > my typical day is breakfast -2x coffee with low fat milk and 2 tsp sugar ,lunch any fruit ,supper if any spilt peas or beans or green salad(no oil ,no spices,no salt),3 liters water.i have been eating like this for 8 days and have lost a total of 5kgs>  i also excercise 3 times a week> 1hr:30 min cardio and 15min resistance training is it safe to continue until i reach my goal weight ?

Dear Possible
It is not ethical to interfere between you and your dietitian. I think you need to return to your dietitian and to discuss the fact that you got bored with the diet she prescribed (and which you paid for), and want to try your own programme instead. Let's first hear what the dietitian has to say about your semi-starvation diet which is think will cause deficiencies quite soon and may also lead to such loss of energy and lean muscle mass that you will have to revert to eating a more balanced diet again.
Take care and get back to your dietitian ASAP

2
Posted by: CJ | 2013-02-26

Pixie you are quite correct, do not skip meals, weight loss you must cut to small portions at least 5 x a day including snacks, I use fruit for snacks. NO salt, cut down on sugar, coffee, rather drink tee black, cut back on full cream milk. Do not drink to much water as this can also lead to problems 2lt to 2.5lt per day. another thing, no starch at night rather eat it by lunch. Start getting in more protein and cut down a bit on cardio and up the resistance training a bit, you should be fine.

Reply to CJ
Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-22

Don''t skip meals - this will just end up messing up your eating cycle. I have heard 6 x small meals a day (incl snacks) is better than 3 big meals.
Try cutting your sugar to one teaspoon. I never thought I could and then suddenly 2 tsp were too sweet so have been on 1 tsp per cup. I havent had coffee in 2 months.
YOur exercise plan sounds normal - I wouldnt go to hectic. My nutritional councellor advised 30 min 3x a week - but I only had 13 kig to lose. Since cutting down sugar, cutting out coffee and wheat products (just 1 slice toast per day) i seem to have lost 3kg without even exercising.
I believe you are also not supposed to eat carbs at night as your body doesnt utlise them and stores as fat - but I love my spuds!
Do you only have 2 cups coffee for breakfast but no food?
Cutting out meals is NOT the way to go - yes you might lose weight but you could end up overcompensating on meals you do eat and also there is a reason why they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Sounds like you are only eating veggies and fruit and drinking water &  coffee.... you need to incorporate some carbs for energy (but check with a dietician on which to eat : quinoa, brown rice etc) and you need protein to sustain you.

Reply to Pixie