Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2010/10/14

Fast weight gain

I have recently gaiined about 15kg in two months, i am not doing anything diffirent except for the fact that i have started gyming.
I am not on medical aid and was wondering if seeing a dietician would work out extremely expensive, can you help?

Dear Tracey
Gaining 15 kg in 2 months is indeed a pronounced weight gain in a very short period of time. You don't mention what type of exercises you are doing at the gym. If you concentrate on doing exercises with weights which develop muscles then this could possibly be the cause. Do you take any of the sports supplements? because these products can also cause bulking up. I would recommend that you first have a medical checkup to see if their is an underlying physiological reason why you have gained so much weight in such a short space of time. Depression could also cause this type of weight gain, so discuss this with your dr. Depending on the diagnosis it would be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). When you make your appointment you can ask how much a consultation costs and decide if you can afford it.
I hope you can pinpoint what is causing this weight gain.

1

Dear Tracey