Posted by: Wessie | 2009-08-03

fast food industry health

What conditions can be expected by ingesting a plaster(band-aid) worn by someone preparing fast food?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Did this actually happen, or is this a hypothetical question?! There have been reports of people finding band-aids in food, but I'm not aware of reports of illness being directly linked to any of these events.

It's definitely not a good idea to come into contact with used band-aids, and of course absolutely unacceptable to find some in your food (!) but I actually think the health risks from the band-aid itself would be low.

If it's found in well-cooked food, you'd be even safer, because most of the bacteria would have been destroyed during cooking.

You could possibly get viral hepatitis from a band-aid that fell into food during preparation, but I still think that's not too likely.

I'd be more worried that a band-aid in food would indicate poor hygiene among the food handlers - not wearing gloves, maybe not washing their hands etc, which could put you at risk for food poisoning from other sources. The main reason people get sick from food is because tiny bits of faecal matter get into the food e.g. when the food handler doesn't wash his/her hands after using the toilet.

For more info on causes of food-borne disease and symptoms:,23479.asp

If it happened to me, though, I would complain long and loud, demand that it be reported to the health authorities, and expect the restaurant/fast-food outlet to identify the culprit and have him/her checked out by a doctor, and maybe you too. Even though the risk is small, it's their fault and they'd need to make an effort to reassure and compensate you.