Question
Posted by: anton | 2011/11/02

farting and diet

well Doc i read your answer to Anathi''s quesion, but i got my own questions I need answers to.

Does the food we eat influence the smell of our fart?
How does our fart smell like from eating a lot of carbohydrates, protein, zinc ?
Does drinking a lot of water in a way make the smell a little less awefull?
Does acid drinks affect the smell of fart?
Does the smell of one''s fart say anything about their state of health?

Dear Anton
If fermentation occurs in the gut, then this will influence the smell of flatulence, so what you eat, your general health, any medications or supplements you take and factors such as enzyme deficiencies or food intolerances/allergies will influence the smell of flatulence. Drinking water could improve the situation, but if you suffer from a condition such as steatorrhoea (inability to digest fats), then no amount of water will improve matters. As I mentioned to Anathi, the best course of action is to have a medical examination and to keep a food diary. You may react to certain foods that someone else does not react to. But do please have a medical checkup if you have a problem, so that the dr can treat the condition (e.g. irritable bowel syndrome, enzyme deficiencies, allergies, etc).

1

Dear Anton