Question
Posted by: Shmegal | 2008/07/14

Family Planning Again

I just want to run something past you all for an outside opinion.

My partner & I have been together for 9 years and have a beautiful son conceived through AID. We want to try for our second child now but have just learnt that we cannot use the same donor as our first child as he has already reached his quota of succesful pregnancies.

Should another biological donor make a difference to our family? The child will be mine and partners after all. Looks and genes may be different but should this stop us from considering this option further?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Shmegal, good to hear from you again and thanks for posting.

Personally I don't think using a different donor should make any difference at all - the child will still be yours and will be much loved and an integral part of the family. Children don't have a need to look like their siblings - they need great parenting.