Question
Posted by: March | 2009/11/22

Family-less

I am 36 and married with three children. What worries me tremendously is the fact that both my parents and those of husband have died many years ago and we practically have no family alive. We worry that if someting happens to us who will take proper care of our kids and find it strange that we seem to be the only couple who have no reliable relatives. The family that are alive are leeches, and constantly borrow, beg, are unstable, one is a sex pest, the rest just live to preach in churches but dont live by it and none of them make us feel comfortable to sign them as guardians/trustees. Both of us are healthy and strong, but we are kind of scared just in case somethign does happen to us (especially in this country). Am I being paranoid?

It'll be interesting to see, after the weekend, how others haved handled this issue. You're right to recognize that the issue is one of RELIABLE relatives, as unstale hypocrites are no use to children. You're being realistic, not paranoid, like someone recognizing the value of making a will. For instance, consider, and discuss with a financial advisor, the value of setting up a trust to safeguard some of the money for the children, who may be too young to usefully inherit. Are their friends who might be suitable and willing guardians ?

1