Question
Posted by: Dotis | 2011/07/17

Family diet

Hi. I''m 50 and my kids are 19 1n 21.We are all carrying extra weight and I''m wondering what kind of general eating plan you would recommend for a family? I''ve been on every diet under the sun but cannot maintain my weight and pick it all up again as soon as I stop dieting. I''d like to get off the diet wagon and would like to come up with a plan that will suit, and benefit, the whole family.Rgds Doris

Dear Doris
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘DietnFood’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by also checking out the ‘Weight Loss’ section and exploring the site. The suggested diet can be used by the entire family. You can also go your exercise together, like going for walks every day for at least 30 min. You will be able to give each other encouragement and support, which usually helps a lot when one is trying to lose weight.

4
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/19

Hi Doris
Glad to help. Seeing as you and your children are adults, I will tell you what I eat in a typical day. My kids have a bit more as they are more active and growing (12 and 14 years).
I see to it that I never go hungry. I do not deprive myself. I treat rather than cheat. I still eat chocolates and chips but never alone. I always share and always buy small and dont keep my weaknesses in the house. I nibble treats, drink lots of water and tea before I eat a piece of cake and always half of what i would normally have. This is a good habit to form. I never eat out of a packet (chips or biscuits), I always put my portion in a bowl/plate then savour it slowly.
Menu:
Fruit: Naartjie or pear
Breakfast: Oats, banana or pawpaw chopped, milk. Coffee with half tsp sugar (I can tell you how to reduce if you like)
Water
Snack: Almonds or 2 rye crakers with marmalade
water
Lunch: Salad/veg/soup with cottage cheese or Tuna or chicken breast
Water
Snack: Yoghurt and fruit
Water
Dinner: Lots of veg, chicken or fish or ostrich steak or pork (no fat), brown rice or maize pasta
Water
Snack: 2 cups of tea and 1 biscuit or craker with marmalade

I dont eat bread and for me this cuts out a lot of other fattening foods and fast foods/take aways. I wil buy Nandos chicken for take aways. I cook extra the night before and take leftover food to work for lunch or eat a salad with protein. Just be sensible. I walk at every opportunity. I refuse to buy pills and shakes as I want my children to learn healthy eating habits. I''d rather spend my money on shoes and perfume.
Let me know how it goes and if you need help reducing sugar in your coffee/ tea. Much better than spending money on expensive substitutes

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Doris | 2011/07/19

Hi Lee. Thank you so much for your posting and the encouraging advice. It''s fantastic what you''ve been able to achieve.You are so right about excercising and I''m going to see if we can get that going on a permanent basis.. May I ask what kind of meals you make? There is so much controversy regarding correct eating. Does one go for low fat/fat free/veggie/high protein/low carb???? Too many options for my liking and everyone has a diffrent opinion of what is the correct eating plan. What do you and your kids eat in a typical day? Rgds Doris

Reply to Doris
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/18

Dear Doris
I wish you and your family the best. My daughter and I are on the same road. She is still young and Im not expecting her to lose weight just to stay fit and learn good habits. My son si very fit and interested in sport so he exercises with us. We walk uphill and run flat. we have been doing this for a few months now and find it very motivating to be doing it together. We also shop and cook together and look for tasty healthy options. This makes us answerable to the others. I have lost weight without pills or diets or feeling that I am depriving myself or my kids of anything. Nothing is tabboo but we do everything in moderation. I''ve gained energy and have gone down from size 44 jeans to size 38 (just bought a new jeans on Friday). Measure yourselves (arms waist, tummy, bum, thighs) and record it in a table every 2nd week. This is much better than weighing. I set myself a goal every month and then reward myself with perfume, lipstick or shoes! Take pics of yourselves and find a pic of how you''d like to look. Keep them side by side with your measurements and look at it every day.
Best wishes. It is life-changing. You''re lucky to have a home-made team.

Reply to Lee

Dear Doris