Question
Posted by: mr | 2010-03-03

Family and life

Please help i am in constant emotional turmoil and i fail to take pleasure at all in anything in my life and everything never seems to turn out fine. I have a good job, i am studying to upgrade my career path, i save money, rent my own house etc and i generally seem functional on the surface but thtings are not okay inside. It''s not just classic depression - my family (mum in particular) thinks the worst of me inspite of all i do and i feel very down-trodden and spurned to the extent that i have chosen to disassociate myself, as try as i might we just do not get on - wel me at least. I am trying to see if i can make my marriage work but husband (in the UK) is non-committal and i fear for the worst, i am single, lonely, alone, unhappy and all i want is someone to talk to i feel like such a loser at the grand old age 34 no matter what i do or try  i just want a normal life and to feel happy and accepted like everyone i just have noone to turn to.......

Parents who have low self-esteem often convince their children to have low self-esteem, too. And Anhedonia, an inability to feel pleasure at pleasurable things, or a loss of the pleasure one formerly took from such pleasant things, is a classic feature of Depression. It is because such features can respond to CBT that I favour this variety of therapy rather than expecting chemicals, however useful they can be in other aspects of Depression and anxiety, to do everything that's needed.
YOu're not a loser, but have developed the attitudes of a loser, and this could become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you insist ! Do see a CBT therapist and get to work on this, as you deserve the improvements you could achieve

2
Posted by: mr | 2010-03-03

many thanks - where can i find a CBT that works around working people''s hours and one that one with a sem-middle-class income (less than R10 000 can afford)?

Reply to mr