Question
Posted by: CA | 2010/02/15

FAMILY ADVOCATE

Our meeting with the FA is set for 01/03/2010. Pls explain what happens at this meeting.
I moved out of the marital home last month , under duress, as hubby wanted me out. He was physically abusive to me and the kids. Will this weigh against me. I am a good mother.
Since moving I have made numerous attempts to get maintenance from Hubby but he refuses and says he is not working.
I am in financial dire straits.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

The Family Advocate assists the parties to reach an agreement on disputed issues, namely custody, access and guardianship. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the Family Advocate evaluates the parties’ circumstances in light of the best interests of the child and makes a recommendation to the Court with regard to custody, access or guardianship.

Upon application by the parties, the Family Advocate institutes an inquiry during which the Family Advocate, assisted by a Family Counsellor (normally a trained social worker), interviews the parties to ascertain their personal circumstances and the background details to their matter. The Family Advocate then interviews the children to allow them the opportunity to be heard. This prevents the child from having to appear in Court.

I am sure that the Family Advocate will make the appropriate recommendation to Court regarding the disputes you have.

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010/02/15

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to Family law expert