Question
Posted by: Iris | 2009-02-13

Fallopian tube patency

Could you please explain to me how one goes about getting checked for fallopian tube patency and what it is?

Dear Iris

The most highly recommended evaluation is that done via laparoscopy. The other alternative is through an X-ray called an HSG (histosalpingogram) and a 3rd option is via ultrasound perturbation. Unfortunately the laparoscopy involves a general anaesthetic and is done in an operating theatre but is certainly the most accurate reflection of the fallopian tubes status. For patients unable to afford this, the other alternatives are suitable and in my opinion the X-ray (HSG) is far more reliable than the ultrasound method.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Dee | 2009-02-16

Its called an HSG - hysterospingogram. Your gynae or FS will do it for you. Its an X-ray where they check dye going thru your tubes.

Reply to Dee