Question
Posted by: Val | 2010/07/07

Falling Pregnant

Hi Dr...I was wondering if you could please help me with some information. I have been on the pill for 7 years &  I want to leave it next year so my partner &  I could have a baby..How long do you think it would be before I fall pregnant? Once I leave the pill is there a special diet that he &  I can go on to increase our fertility? Please let me know

Dear Val

Firstly there is no special diet that you should undergo to try and achieve a pregnancy however it is always prudent to have a healthy diet, to avoid smoking and alcohol and reduce lots of fatty and sweet things when you are pregnant or trying to fall pregnant. It would be important to start taking Folic acid every day or every alternate day as well. Once leaving an oral contraceptive pill your ability to conceive starts almost immediately from the next month onwards. Although your ability to conceive is almost immediate on stopping the oral contraceptive pill however most people will only conceive between 6-9 months after stopping a pill. If you are under 35 years old then you should only start having a concern if you haven’t conceived after one year after stopping the oral contraceptive pill.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/07/16

Dear Val

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: sherry | 2010/07/15

hi doctor
was hoping you could help me . my partner and i have been trying to have a baby yet i fear that i cant have any.we''v had unprotected sex many times yet still nothing..what could be wrng?

Reply to sherry
Posted by: anon | 2010/07/13

i suggest u leave the pill now - not every ones bodies are the same - i was on the pill for a while my daughter is 6 - and i left the pill 2 years ago and still cant fall pregnant - i am now on treatment - u can go on glucophage to control your sugar levels and then take vitamin tabs both u and your hubby - all the best dont wait for next year lol oh and if u smoke - quit

Reply to anon