Falling pregnant

Hi Dr
I stopped taking the pill at the start of my last period (trying for a baby). It has been 55 days and I have not had another period. Is there anything to be concerned about. I have taken HPT tests and all neg.
I conceived my first child after a year of trying and during this time I would often miss a cycle.
Would you suggest I go for a check up or should I wait for my next period to start and see from there.
Also, is there anything I could do to regulate my cycle to conceive?
Thank you.

Dear Anonymous

It is important to understand that the oral contraceptive pill can result in normal regular cyclical bleeding despite the fact that no ovulation is occurring. Even in patients where both ovaries are in total failure or have been removed surgically and provided that the uterus is intact, the use of oral contraceptives will result in regular menstrual bleeding. Thus the pill is often used to correct hormonal imbalances as well as cover up any underlying hormonal disorder. It is therefore often observed that patients with ovulatory or hormonal problems once off the pill will return to an abnormal menstrual pattern or in some case absence of menstruation for prolonged periods of time. In your situation this unmasking effect appears to be the case and I would suggest that you have yourself investigated for the true underlying problem regarding your hormonal system. The possibility of underlying polycystic ovarian syndrome or ovarian failure should be seriously considered.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim