Question
Posted by: Sally | 2011/10/24

Falling in love and depression

I''ve recently met the love of my life and am very happy, yet, I''m experiencing a flare up in my depression (which is anxiety related). Is there a relation between falling in love and depression? Could the one aggravate the other?

I'm not sure I've much come across falling in love causing a flareup in depression. Maybe some of us feel almost guilty when we sem to be finding happiness and love, as though we feel we don't deserve it. Maybe there's some anxiety on the lines of " This is so great, but how awful it would be if something spoiled it.
What do other readers think, based on their own experiences ?

3
Posted by: Phil | 2011/10/25

Sometimes  it is fear. Because when you fall in love  you loose control. When you fall in love  you become dependant on that person/feelings/love.

You fear of loosing it  scarred that something might go wrong. Fear of opening up so much. That could make you feel depressed  espcially if you had a bad experince before.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Maria | 2011/10/24

I think your answer is there, when you say it is anxiety related. Being excited and being anxious is physiologically very similar, and psychologically we sometimes confuse the two. Just try to enjoy what you have without worrying about the long term - live for the moment.

Reply to Maria