Posted by: Gwyn | 2009-08-24

Last night I got up from sitting. Stood for about a minute and when I turned to walk I suddenly fell sideways. There was no reason for me to fall that way as I was going the other direction and I hadn' t tripped or anything. I wasn' t dizzy or lightheaded and was fully aware what was happening - I just couldn' t stop myself. Do I possibly have an ear infection or could something else be the cause?

Dear Gwyn
If it was a once off episode , I would not be too concerned. If you were not dizzy ( felt like the earth turned around you) it is unlikely that it was a middle ear problem. It could maybe have been due to a temporary lack of blood flow to the balance centre (your blood pressure could have dropped when you got up) ?