Posted by: Nicola | 2009-01-14

Dear Doc

I had an injury in my hip flexor muscles and so have been unable to run since August. I was told that the cause was the fact that I have collapsed arches and was given exercises to fix this. I haven' t seen any progress and am worried that if I start running again fulltime that this injury will come back. Do you know of any effective exercises that will correct this, or is this something that I must just live with, and basically give up running?

Many thanks

Hi Nicola

That's a difficult one. You'll never know until you try it out. But it's important that you take it very slowly in your comeback to running. I'm not sure why you feel you've not seen any progress, whether your injury is still present? If it is, then running is a bad idea anyway. So that's not clear. But if you can run, and decide to, then it's important to take it slow. The collapsed arch might be a contributing factor, but the CAUSE of the injury is your training. In other words, you can control the cause, by training at a level that you can manage. Don't go too long or too fast too soon, and then you'll find that you actually develop the necessary strength by running.

That's a fine balance, one that is very difficult to sort out. But you have to constantly remind yourself to hold yourself back and avoid overdoing it.

Posted by: Nicola | 2009-01-22

Thanks so much Doc - you have been a great help. What I meant is that I haven' t seen any progress in my arches despite the exercises, but your advice is so encouraging. I will have to hold back with the distance and resist all the coaxing from the group I run with, to go longer and further!

If I feel the slighest bit of pain while running, I will hold back then as well. Yay there' s hope!!

Reply to Nicola