Question
Posted by: dog lover | 2008/09/16

fake pregnancy

Is it possible for a dog to fake a pregnancy? My one year old Spaniel was on heat and a male poodle got to her. I did some research and found out that the term for a dog is 62 days. 62 days had come and gone and it now more than a month over her due time but she still has milk in her breasts. Is she preggies or is the pregnancy fake?

Dear dog lover

Fake pregnancies are common. They can even start 'giving birth' if very bad. Best treatment is to let it pass normally. Driugs available if its bad.

1
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/16

Yes, they can definately ' fake'  it. If it is a month past her due date, she is not pregnant.
According to my Vet it is better to guestimate the due date counting 57 days from the last date that the bitch stands for the male i.e. allows him to mate.

Reply to WR