Question
Posted by: ?? | 2011/03/15

FAKE

I was wondering, so many people seem to thinks they have depression and pchychyatrist diagnose many people with depression, that I am sure if guided right could get out of this it just seems to me like everyone is diagnosed with depression and I am dwelling around on earth filled with mostly, medicated zombies?
Do you really think that meds can solve all of this?

Firstly, much depends on what you mean by "depression" Every normnal person gets sad or blue now and then, usually for good reasons, and they improve naturally and before long. If one uses internationally accepted definitions and criteria for diagnosing Depression, then indeed quite a proportion of the population seem to suffer from it at one time or another.
A tragic misunderstanding, created by those who are NOT actually Depressed, is that its a minor thing which you can just "smap out of " with encouragement from others. It isn't, and its a serious disorder with a significant death rate, especially if untreated.
Helping people be guided into more positive ways of dealing with their moods and the problems they encounter, in the form of Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT) for instance, has been shown by good research to be very effective in managing depression, even without drugs.
But some people are too severely depressed to rely on psychological methods alone, and some do respond well to antidepresant meds.
Personally, I don't think such meds should be used ON THEIR OWN to manage depression, but should always be combined with counselling.
Some of those do indeed feel unpleasant side-effects such as emotional numbness, but not on all doses of all drugs, so its worth taking the time to find which treatment suits each individual best

4
Posted by: Happiness | 2011/03/16

The other contributing factor to this depression trend is that we are getting more and more isolated as individuals. We stay in surbubs &  town houses where you hardly see anyone let alone talking to them. Behind closed doors its just you and the tv. Now we go an extra mile to protect our " personal space" , we shut people out in the name of privacy. Technology is not helping much either since you can almost everything without getting into contact with other people.

But the truth is we feel much better after talking to someone about whatever load we are carrying. Even if that person doesn''t offer you any solutions to your problems. I guess that''s why we go to shrinks more often these days....

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: meagain | 2011/03/15

Your right, in my honest opinon there is a bit of an over diagnosis of certain depressive conditions. At a braai awhile ago a friend I had meet mentioned this exact problem to me, that he noticed now all of a sudden half of the people he knows are suddenly bi polar almost as a fashion trend. Peoples coping mechanisms are getting much weaker due to constant changes going on in the world, but then if you think about history, when Alexander the Great conquered indian a massive " traumatic"  change of an event, i doubt his soilders or the general indian population all developed some psychiatric condition, or the second world war more recently, not like the entire populations involved suddenly all went manic. Maybe its technology today and the information hitting us all constantly? Maybe its also spiritual, lots of really evil spiritual things escalating all the time satan is busy not much if any time left.

But that said, Id take a medicated zombie over the real ones anyday, a real zombie has no imagination, little sense of humour a low if totaly absent sex drive and its primary goal in its short lived life is to eat you and me.

Reply to meagain
Posted by: Truth | 2011/03/15

And you are of course a medical doctor who has specialized in psychiatry and trained for over 10 years to qualify!
Thank you for your opinion, CS will reply knowledgebly.

Reply to Truth