Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-12-13

FAIR?

I am working as a loan consultant for a national company. My salary is R1980 p/m and I work six days a week. I have been with this company since May this year. My question is:
Is this the correct wage I am earning? Can I quit my job immediately? This is a very stressful job and my employer said that there is no bonus at the end of the year! Is it right? What is my rights as an employee?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Fair?

Unfortunately there is no set wage for a loan consultant and you have no right to a bonus unless your letter of appointment states that you do.

3
Posted by: Anon | 2010-12-14

Thanks for your input Jacques. This is a fixed salary. No benefits and they only deduct R20 for UIF, so even if I stay with this company for ten years, I will only leave with my monthly salary! I dont see a future for myself here. I understand your point about the fact that it will be difficult to find a new job but I''m just so frustrated! I accepted this job because my area manager said that after three months my salary would go up, although it was only a verbal agreement I still didnt get it? So I could be earning this amount for the next five to ten years???

Posted by: Jacques | 2010-12-14

I am not sure what the current minimum wage is but R1980 p/m sounds like an excessively low ammount. Do you get paid hourly or is it a fixed salary? Also if you work more then 42 hours a week you should be getting overtime.

Do you receive any benefits? (medical, company car, etc.)

As to your questions you presumably signed a contract detailing working hours required and the wage you would recieve. If the details didn''t seem fair to you why did you sign and accept the job? Yes you can quit any time you want, as long as you give correct notice as stipulated in your contract. And finaly a year end or annual bonus is not something a company is forced to provide but is instead an incentive some company''s use to lure skilled and experienced people to their company.

Just keep in mind that South Africa has an incredibly high % of jobless citizens, and every year countless matriculants enter the job market all desperate for any job they can get. This is why company''s can get away with paying people minimum wage and offer no benifits. So if you do decide to quit the company will quickly replace you while you could strugle for months to find a new job with no gaurantee of a higher salary.

My advice is to stick it out while you search for a better opportunity... because even a bad job is better then no job at all.

Reply to Jacques
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010-12-14

re: Fair?

Reply to labour lawyer