Posted by: Jay-Jay | 2009-09-22

fainting &  urnination

Dear Doc, my healthy, 78 year old relative recently fainted during some physical chores at home that involved bending over and lifting things. Upon waking he discovered that he had urinated on himself. The fainting I can see possibly explained by many factors but what could be some possible reasons for the urination after/during the faint episode?

Dear Jay-jay
It could be an indication that it was more than just a faint, rather a loss of consciousness or even a fit. Signs of a fit would be sore muscles afterwards, bitten tongue, feeling very tired when waking, more than just a few seconds passed, feeling disorientated on waking. If he thinks it could have been a fit he needs to see his doctor for referral to a neurologist