Question
Posted by: Dave Rees | 2011/03/16

Faint

I''m a 66 year old man in excellent health with a normal BP. I am not on any medication. A few days ago, immediately after lunch I travelled for 40 minutes by car to a shopping centre. After parking I walked 20m then climbed a flight of stairs and walked another 20m when it felt as though the blood was draining from my head and I felt quite faint. I had to steady myself against a wall for 5 seconds. I had a mild headache after this for the rest of the day.

Could this have been due to a drop in BP perhaps related to the meal I''d eaten and the fact that I''d been sitting in a car for 40 minutes? The only other factor I can think of is that I''d donated blood a week before this incident. Can you throw any light on this?

Many thanks

Hallo Dave
The most probably cause could have been the blood donation, which depleted some of your oxygen carrying red blood cells. If this ever happens again try to get to a pharmacy where they can check your blood pressure. Ensure that your hemoglobin is normal before you donate blood again.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/16

Hallo Dave