Posted by: Gloria | 2009-07-01

Dear Doc

I have written to you in the past. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II and suffer from severe anxiety. I work in an extremely stressful environment where work just keeps on piling and piling. This year I' ve just been feeling unmotivated, lethargic and just not inspired to keep on working like a slave. As a result, and because of my anxiety, I' ve procrastinated at work like you can' t believe. Even though I KNEW something was urgent, I just could not get myself to do it. The result is that I' ve got into trouble at work, not only with senior staff members but also with Clients. I am not used to failure and do not know what to do about it. One lady at particular at work is totally p*ssed off with me and told my boss how furious she was with my lack of performance. I am afraid my reputation is in tatters. I am not used to not doing what I' m told to do! I don' t know how I' m ever going to feel good about myself again. I have had enough of this job and have resigned. I am starting a new job in August which will be less stressful. How do you recover from failure and being a disappointment? Thanks, Gloria

Any office where work keeps on piling up for one or more individuals, is a badly run office in a badly-run organization. But to the extent that your own procrastination has contributed to this, obviously this is unfortunate. IS there an HR person or dept you can discuss this with ? Resignation might not have ben the best idea, but apparently you have already done that, and are very lucky to have found a new job, in the current economy, and as your previous employers are not so likely to have provided an enthusiastic reference ! However, if the new job is satisfactory and less stressful, you will have the chance to prove yourself again ' to yourself, most importantly. And seeing a CBT style counsellor could help you to brush up your self-esteem and motivation and become more effective again.

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-01

Counseling will help you to rather see the successes in your life than dwelling on past failures. You' ve managed to get a new job - that is a huge success. Good for you. It is rather unfortunate however that your problems with performance is at a low right now. It could cause you to carry over your problems with procrastination into the new job. The almost exact same thing happened with me some years ago and I was retrenched due to health reasons from the new job I had started. Changing jobs with my bipolar not well controlled was a huge mistake. It took me almost 3 years to get a job again. And I' m a well-qualified IT professional with years of experience.

Don' t let what happened to me, happen to you. Go see your psychiatrist as often as needed in the near future to get your bipolar controlled again. You' re obviously down in the dumps and depressed. Get this improved ASAP for all reasons, not just to improve your performance at work.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza