Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2008/08/07

Failure

I’ ve made an appointment to see my psychiatrist next week. I’ m Bipolar II and feel a bit down at the moment. What worries me is that I might make a fool of myself if I keep this appointment. I don’ t know if I’ m down enough to warrant a visit to the shrink. I’ m creating problems as far as I go. Everyone I know are upset about the things I’ m saying and doing. I feel like a failure. The harder I try to put things right the bigger mess I make. I go to bed as soon as I get home from work, taking sleeping pills and tranquilizers to sleep as long as possible, just to forget that I exist. I wish I have the courage to put an end to my life. I will be doing everyone a favour.

There's absolutely no way you ( or anyone else ) can make a fool of yourself by sensibly seeing a shrink if you're not well. If you feel you may be creating some of the problems, that itself can be a useful focus for the visit. And if you even faintly think of harming yourself, you NEED to see the psychiatrist asap ---you will do nobody a favour by harming yourself.
And NO, even if you woke feeling better, the mere fact that you were so riskily down so recently means that you MUST keep that appointment with the shrink and frankly tell him about how this has happened. Do NOT cancel the appointment

3
Posted by: anonymous | 2008/08/08

Thanks, for the encouraging words! I woke up this morning and life seems wonderful! All the doom and gloom are gone. I feel great and ready to take on any battle. I have lots of energy and the last thing I want to do is sleep. Definitely no need to see the shrink. Yipee!!!!!!!

Reply to anonymous
Posted by: jcat | 2008/08/07

Hey Anon,

- read over what you wrote again. Everything after the first 4 sentences says that you are not just a "  bit down" , you are seriously miserable.
Please, hang in there until you can see your pdoc - sounds as if you are a bit overdue for an appt with him. And it certainly wouldn' t be wasting his time, or yours. Maybe try call his office and see if you can get an emergency appt before next week. If that' s not feasible, talk to someone at the numbers at the top of the page, or keep posting here until you see him.
About the only good thing to say to yourself with BP2 (and I am as well) is that what goes down will come up again - you feel like whale s*& t now, but it can and will get better. Just hang on to whatever liferings you can for now.
Regards,
jcat

Reply to jcat
Posted by: Lin | 2008/08/07

Sounds to me as if you need to see your shrink to deal with the abovementioned problems.
No, you wouldn' t be doing anyone a favour by ending it all. You' ll hurt those left behind terribly.

Reply to Lin