Posted by: Nichola | 2010-01-27

Failed IVF with sperm doner

Dear Doctor, after a failed egg donor IVF we were advised that the problem might be my husbands sperm. We duly did another IVF wherein we split the donor eggs in half ie half fertilized by my husband and half by a donor. The result was that none of the donor sperm fertilized the eggs and my husbands sperm fertilized all his eggs. I would like to know if you think this is an acceptable risk of the process or should I take issue with the clinc who provided the sperm donor?

Dear Nichola

Donor sperms are generally assessed for good count, quality and motility. However it is possible those certain stages of collection may be detrimental to the sperm and that in this particular case it was unable to fertilize the eggs. However it was a good test to find out if there was a problem with your husband’s sperm or not and from what has transpired it appears that there is no problems with your husband’s sperm as it fertilized all the eggs quite well. It may well be that you could go to the sperm bank and ask them to reassess the quality of the sperm that was donated to you and ascertain its qualities.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: nichola | 2010-01-29

No I am pretty sure they did not. They did try to salvage to eggs the following day but to no avail. So after starting out with 11 eggs we had only one of acceptable quality to transfer!

Reply to nichola
Posted by: Dee | 2010-01-28

Did you use ICSI with the donor sperm? I have heard that after being frozen, its best to use ICSI to inject an egg, as would be the case with donor sperm.

Reply to Dee