Question
Posted by: Morné  | 2010-08-25

faeces

I have 2 miniture dachshunds, a male &  female, I feed them good quality food, Royal Canin dachshund, but i have caught the male eating the female''s faeces, I would like to know why he does that as i feed them twice daily, more than what the pack suggests

Please help

Hi Morne

This can be normal behaviour. It is unusual that there is a nutritional deficiency.

I would advise that you remove all fecal material immediately from the lawn. You can also use pineapple juice or meat tenderiser and feed that to your female

Sorry for the late reply

2
Posted by: Anon | 2010-08-26

My dogs do this too - it''s gross! Good luck getting them to eat pineapple though - I never managed it. The only way we''ve managed to sort this out is to be hypervigilant about picking up their faeces when they go.

Posted by: Chill | 2010-08-25

This is quite common, and though we think it''s disgusting, they don''t. Does not mean they''re either hungry or lacking in some nutrient - they just do it because they like it.

Sometimes, putting certain things into their food makes the taste less appealing, so you could try that - a few tinned pineapple chunks is said to work. Maybe someone will come up with some alternatives.

Reply to Chill