Posted by: janman | 2012-03-16

Factor V Lyden Mutation DVT

Hi, I''m logging this question on behalf of a relative who has a factor V Lyden Mutation deep vein thrombosis blood clot in his right calf. He has been on Warferine for quite a while now and his specialist has advised him that he would have to take Warferine for the rest of his life. My questions is whether this kind of blood clot can''t be removed surgically instead of treating the symptoms.

The treatment for the DVT is Warfarin and the preventative treatment of DVT's, is the lifelong use of Warfarin. A thrombectomy can be performed but treatment with an anticoagulation drug, like Warfarin, is the preferred method of treatment.