Question
Posted by: Bestina | 2010/11/04

Facial sagging and weightloss

I am 26 year old female and I lost about 15 kg 4 years ago. I however look older now even when I pick up a bit of weight. I also had been on 3 years of chronic corticosteroids during that time. Another thing is I have eczema of the scalp and at its worst, it triggers asthma. What I''d like to find out from you is whether I can reverse this facial sagging and also remedy my allergies with a particular diet? Also, I have just about 8 kg to loose for a healthy weight (will be loosing it steadily) but wondering how to achieve that without aging rapidly.

Kind regards,
Bestina

Dear Bestina
Well done for losing those 15 kg. It is an unfortunate fact that people who lose weight often lose a lot of facial fat which is of course not desirable because it can make them look gaunt and older. I would firstly recommend that you consult a Dermatologist for 2 reasons: 1) Dermatologists are now in a position to treat loss of facial fat and reduce the gaunt appearance by using fillers, which have a high rate of success and produce excellent results. No diet will be able to specifically improve the gauntness caused by loss of weight. 2) The Dermatologist must determine if your scalp eczema and the asthma it triggers, are in any way related to food(s). If the dr arranges the necessary allergy tests and you test positive for one or more foods, then we can look at the dietary changes you would need to make. Because you would also like to lose another 8 kg, it would be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) after you have the allergy test results. The dietitian will be able to assist you with a balanced slimming diet that excludes the offending foods (if any) to assist with the allergic reactions.
So first see a Dermatologist and discuss the use of fillers and the allergy tests and once you have the results of the latter, please contact a registered dietitian.

1

Dear Bestina