Question
Posted by: Lee-Ann | 2012/02/03

Facial products

What facial products would you recommend for assistance in reducing and preventing marks and acne?

I''ve tried several products from L''oreal, Rooibos, Tea tree, Nivea, Clean &  Clear, Oxy... but no luck.

Hoping you can assist

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lee-Ann, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would ideally like to examine the skin before deciding on the best topical approach. Your best advice would be to consult with a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can discuss with you the various treatment options especially considering that you still have acne breakouts.

Generally speaking the best approach starts with a good SPF (oil free) 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and sun avoidance as much as possible – UV rays not only aggravate the acne but increase the chance of pigmentation and scarring. It is also very important to follow a good at home acne regime – please check my webpage: www.dralek.co.za and under the skin and acne classification tab one can find a lot of info including the regime one should follow.
I am a firm believer in using topical products specifically indicated for the treatment of acne and the pigmentation that has developed such as NeoStrata’s acne and depigmenting range. Similar ingredients can be found with Environ, Nimue, IS Clinical, etc.

2
Posted by: Gail | 2012/02/06

It was interesting to read the anti-aging experts advice on your problem. I am a 63 year old woman who has been blessed with good genes in part but a a 21 year old a had a nose job and was warned then about the sun. There are lots of fallacies about acne such as diet etc. I have an allergic sensitive skin which does not like topical ointments and it is my belief that acne and breakouts are influenced by stress which affect the hormones that control the secretion of natural oils. One can also make the mistake of using soaps and ointments and concealers which inadvertently actually make the skin worse. Even anti-allergenic treatments made my eyelashes fall out so based on that and also the plastic surgeons advice of the time I have been meticulous in avoiding the sun and applying minimal skin treatments to my face in particular. I never wash my face with soap and try not to use a cloth for more than a month as the soap dries out your skin and the facecloth harbours bacteria. When I do have a breakout I avoid squeezing and fiddling with it since this breaks and scars the skin and spreads any bacteria released to neighbouring pores. I am always being told what a beautiful skin I have and how I can''t possibly be 63 as I have virtually no lines. I eat a healthy diet now with occasional treats and I drink a lot of water. I avoid certain fruits such as citrus as they definitely cause me to break out. I am often tempted as they contain Vit C however there is Vit C in other fruit and veg which has no ill effects. I know that there is also a medication which one takes orally that prevents the onset of acne outbreaks as all my sister''s daughters have taken it and it is called Ro-accutan. None of my sons had skin problems in part because both parents followed the same regime. I have saved a fortune over the years and remained au naturel. I hope that something in here meets your need but otherwise it is a costly affair medicating your face.034gmg

Reply to Gail
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/02/04

Hi Lee-Ann, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert