Posted by: Candice Arendse | 2009-10-06

facial discolouration

Hi Doc, please advise can high blood pressure tablets such as Ziak 10/6,25 cause discolouration of the face. such as brown marks like the marks you get when pregnant. with both my pregnancies I did not get any of these marks in my face. Only started to appear since I have been using this medication to control my blood pressure. Please advise

Hallo Candice
The "waterpil" part of Ziak ( hydrochorthiazide) can cause photosensitivity reactions ( in other words marks on your skin when in contact with sunlight) Try wearing a facial moisturizer with sunblock daily and a stronger one especially if you know that you will be in the sun for long periods like holidays. I like TechniblockSP30 as it is not oily and dries immediately (it has an alcohol base). Ask your doctor to prescribe something to lighten the marks like Retin A or a combination corticosteroid/hydroquinone/tretinoin cream . DO NOT buy over the counter skin lightners - they do more harm than good!