Posted by: johan | 2009-08-26

I am divorced now for 10 years and the lonelyness is killing me. I am 57 and my face muscles let me look like a guy of 70. I would really love to date and marry again. I hear that faceliftoperations become commonly for men but could you advice on the risks involved and if such an operation will last forever?

Expert ImageAgeing and Sexuality expert

I so get it - lonliness will kill you so this is great , its great that you want to reach out to others.

Its so interesting to me that the first change you want to make is to your physical appearance - why not?? This is not the domain of women. Of course you will improve your mental well being if you feel more confident in your looks. I encourage you to read my book Ageing and Sexuality- I have written a whole section on Cosmetic Surgery , with recommendations, risks and benefits.
Call up/google the South African Plastic Surgery Association and get a referral to your nearest registered qualified cosmetic surgeon.
I invite you to make other changes to your lifestlye. Research (in my book) indicates that men who are not embedded in a community, have friends, activities , feel they belong, even to the neighbourhood, have a greater chance of isolation and depression.
Do what you need to do to feel confident about getting into society (maybe cosmetic surgery) - meet people - become visible. Go on , g get a life. I also encourage you to place an advert on my site- Go to Enter Ageing and Sexuality and place your advert under Classifieds. Have fun:)