Question
Posted by: shona | 2010-06-12

face swelling

Hi doc
I am on no medication other than chronic meds I have used for a long time. Have not started using anything new, cream, deodorant, eating anything new etc. One side of my face swelled up. around the mouth area. so I had swollen lips on one side and around that area of the face. went down. two days later the same thing happened on that other side of my face. exact same place just on the opposite side. now two weeks later it has happened on the right side again. This time was very severe. lasted 3 days, still a tiny bit swollen. When this happens where it is swollen is absolutely numb. it is 150% like when the dentist has injected you. what could cause something like this?. I have read a lot about a nerve here and there, BUT, this does not sound like something that would happen one side and then the next?? or could it? thanks.

Shona

There are a couple of conditions that can cause this and I therefore, strongly suggest that you consult your doctor for and examination, as it can be a localised allergic reaction or due to a bacterial or viral infection.