Question
Posted by: Madie | 2008/09/22

F5-S1 fusion

Hi, I' m worried about my mom (64yr)...She has always been a healthy, fit woman, who was busy climbing a 20km mountain when her back ' gave in' . She had a L5-S1 fusion 6-7 weeks ago. The nerve was badly pinched, but dr was happy post-op. She is still experiencing VERY MUCH pain in her right knee and foot and we are worried that this is not ' normal' ? She is only to see her dr in October for follow-up and doesn' t want to phone him to ask if the terrible pain is normal. She is able to manage the pain with 1 pain tablet a day(sinap-forte). She also developed bladder infection and struggles to get to the toilet on time...Is there any connection to the operation?
Thanx

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Madie
Please get your mother to phone her doctor regarding the pain, although one tablet a day controlling the pain is not too bad. it does sound as if the nerve is still a bit piched, but this can be post-operative swelling etc.
The bladder infection is probably not connected to the operation, but she needs antibiotics for this. Bottom line is - she needs to see a doctor and the surgeon who operated is the best person to advise about the pain.