Question
Posted by: Craig Lomax | 2010-06-03

Eyes constantly twitching

Hi Dr,

my mother is having a HUGE problem with her eyes as her eyelids seem to constantly twitch to the point where she cannot keep them open and her vision is now impaired, this has been on going now for over a year. she is 57 years old. she has been to multiple doctors with no solution, the best advise was to do botox injections, the first one worked for about 2 weeks, after that they stopped working alltogether. any advise or refferal would be appreciated.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Craig

This sounds like a problem called blepharospasm. In these cases the best treatment is Botox, I suggest you see an opthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis, and it may be of value to seek the opinion of a neurologist as well. Once the diagnosis has been confirmed, ask your GP or the attending specialist to refer you to a doctor that specializes in this type of problem. One must realise that Botox has a limited time of efficacy, but 2 weeks seem rather short. It may require a higher dose, or the injections may need to be administered in a different site.