Posted by: Ant | 2011-10-29

Eye swelling

Hi Doc, I hope you can help?

I''m not sure if it is an allergy as no-one has been able to tell me exactly what it is yet but I my eye starts to swell sometimes with a small bump on my bottom eyelid which then persists to grow larger and sometimes shutting my whole eye up and jumping to next eye in a matter of minutes! it does become teary and a little itchy. I usually feel it coming with this slight sensation on my eyelid. My nose also runs and I do snor (was looking up allergy symtoms on this site). IF you know what it is, are you able to tell me please what it is / could be and how to prevent / cure it? I do take anti-histamine tablets and was prescribed Celestamine.

I appreciate your time and help .... Thanks

Is the swelling red in colour? If it is, it might indicate the formation of a stye, which is infection of a hair follicle and the skin. It is also possible that you have allergies. You will have to consult a doctor for a diagnosis. In the interim, you can use Spersallerg eye drops in combination with an antihistamine, like Zyrtec. This is available over the counter.

Refer to following link about styes: