Posted by: Sarha | 2009-06-22

Hi doc, I am considering going for eye lazer surgery so that I dont need to where specs/contacts anymore. I am 32, had 2 kids, not planning to have anymore kids. I just want to find out how save is this procedure and what is the complications. I was referred to a very good Dr. But I would like to have a opinion first before I make the appointment as I have to pay R900 to see him (Visionmed - Cresta). Can you please give me more advice and if you will go for something like this. Personally I do have a problem wearing contacts they scratch my eyes, specs can be a promblem when I go out or scuba ect...

Dear Sarha
There are a few different methods they use -
LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis)
PRK (excimer laser photorefractive keratectomy)
PARK (excimer laser photo-astigmatic refractive keratectomy)
LASEK (laser epithelial keratomileusis)
H-PRK (excimer laser hyperopic photorefractive keratectomy)

And it depends on how your eye is formed, if you have astigmatism, how thick the cornea is etc whether it is suitable for you. The initial examination of R900 is exactly for these reasons, as it is a very in depth examination of the eye, where the doctor will discuss the procedure that will be suitable for you, with you, with all the pro's and con's and risk factors. It is worth the R900!

You can
The important thing is to use an experienced doctor with good references. However, there are no guarantees that you will not have problems. Most people I have spoken to, have not been sorry that they did it, although a few did have some complications, needing a second operation. I only know of one case that had serious complications with an ulcer of the cornea that took weeks to heal.