Posted by: Dawie | 2009-03-25

Eye Injury: Cornea

Good morning Doc

Over the weekend I got a fragment of hot flux from welding stuck in my eye, on the cornea right in front of the pupil. It took a visit to the local hospital' s casualty ward for a doc to remove it. Three days later its much better, the eye is still sensitive to wind and light but what bothers me is the scar that is left on the cornea. It hinders my vision being right in front of the pupil and I think the resulting blurry vision causes the constant tearing.
Is the cornea capable of eventually healing such a scar or will I need further help?

Dear Dawie
the cornea normally regenerates very quickly - within 24 - 48 hours, so if the lesion persists, rather let your GP have a look to see if you need referral to an eye specialist. It is anyway good to go for a follow up 48 hours after the injury to catch any possible complications early