Question
Posted by: Doris Garrow | 2011-03-28

Eye creams

I went for a skin analysis (which was very interesting indeed) but I left the clinic R1100 poorer because it was recommended that I buy special face products to improve the elasticity of my skin. It all made sense but I just can''t wrap my head around the R500 I paid for 15ml eye cream which is supposed to nourish the skin under my eyes to minimise wrinkles from forming. What do you think?Do these expensive creams really help?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Doris, thank you for the question.

I am a firm believer that we do not need ‘expensive’ topicals to achieve good results however this does not mean that expensive topicals are not good. The most important factor to consider in topicals are the ingredients used and consistently alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, vitamin C, and vitamin A (or its derivatives) have shown to benefit the skin. Furthermore we should remember that topicals can only do so much and that ultimately chemical peels, technology based treatments, Botox, and fillers may be necessary to get the best overall results.