Posted by: Pete | 2009-04-01

Eye Condition, OCD and Headaches

I developed Micropsia and Metamorphsia from leakage behind the retina of my LH side eye. Probably stress related. Continued leakage was stopped by means of around 9 laser shots around the central vision area. I suffer from debilitating headaches and a sense of disorientation due to lack of binocular vision caused by the subtle difference of picture each eye sees - I think. Had MRI scans, psychaitric and phycological treatment but symptoms stubbornly pesists - It' s been more than three years now. Four different opthalmologists have agreed that it is extremely unlikely to suffer these symptoms due to my eye condition. What can I do to try and lead a normal life again? Am I a hypochondriac?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Pete,

It is indeed extremely unlikely that your pain is due to your eye problems. It is also unlikely that psychiatry or psychology will help – if you have pain, then you have pain, and just because the source has not yet been diagnosed doesn’t mean that you are a hypochondriac.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.