Posted by: Bles | 2009-07-01

Eye Cataract vs High Blood Pressure

Good Day,
My mother has a cataract on one of her eyes - optometrist diagnosed. She is not on medical aid and upon enquiring how much it would cost she was given an estimate of R20000.00 - a fortune to anyone but worse for my Mom who has to make ends meet on a pensioner' s salary. i advised her to visit the clinic at her local public hospital hoping that she would be put on a government subsidised programme to have the cataract removed surgically. A nurse at the clinic however mentioned that removing it would be pointless as this is caused by her high hypertension. What I would like to know is :-
1. Is there a link between hypertension and cataracts?
2. Would reducing her hypertension to normal levels reverse the growth of the cataract and eventually eliminate it?

Dear Bles
Hypertension can cause cataracts but if it is removed it will not recur and should not be a reason for them not to help her
Reducing her hypertension will reverse the growth of the cateract and eliminate it.
She needs to get an appointment with an opthalmologist at the eye clinic of your nearest academic hospital or at a provincial hospital with opthalmology services.