Posted by: Adrien Naude | 2012-05-13

Extremely worried about my Wifes Loss of Weight

Please can you help me.I am extremely worried about my Wifes loss of weight. The loss of weight has been gradual, over a year or two but she is now down to 43kg with a height of between 1.7 and 1.75 metre. She is 53 years old, smokes about 20 cigarettes per day, she uses Grandpa head powders a lot 2 or 3 per day, the smoking and grandpas are also a deep concern of mine. She is extremely hard headed and refuses to go to a doctor. It is as if she is unable to eat large portions of food and does complain about abdominal pain wich over the last few months seems to have become more severe. As I have said she absolutely refuses to seek medical advice but takes a mixture of Lenons turlington and condense milk which she absolutely swears by and says brings relief from the pain.
Can you please give me advice.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hell Adrien,
Irrespective of whether your wife is 1.7m or 1.75m tall, at the weight you mention she is significantly underweight. I am neither a medical doctor, nor would I want to make any medical assumptions or a diagnosis on this forum, but I think that you need to be insistent that she see a physician urgently to explore what could be a myriad of addictions and dangerous lifestyle patterns. It is unlikely that she is going to be cooperative to this process, so y need to take charge if the matter and insist on an intervention/investigation. You cannot assume that your wife is capable of making sound judgement in her current condition.