Question
Posted by: Sue | 2010/10/13

Extremely tired

Hi Doctor
I need some advice please. I''ve been through a rough patch where I worked very long hours, often until 2 or 3 in the morning. This ended at the end of September. Since then I am extremely tired, all the time. I fall asleep in traffic, while reading my daughter her bedtime story and while sitting behind my computer at work. No matter how much I sleep, I just stay tired. I often go to bed at 8 in the evening and get up at 5:30, and still fall asleep while driving to work. It feels as if I''m starting to burn out.
I also have a baby son (1 year old) and I still breastfeed twice a day.
Could this maybe be caused by a shortage in my body, and is there a really good substitute I can use? I''ve tried Vita Thion but can''t really feel a difference.
I''ve also stopped drinking caffeine 2 weeks ago, as I realised that I''m getting a bit dependant on it to stay perky. Could this contribute to the tiredness?
Please help, I''m so tired of being tired! Thank you!

Hi Sue
You probably suffer from burnout and you probably need rest more than supplements or vitamins. Please see your doctor for a thorough medical examination ( ask him to check your iron levels, thyroid hormone levels and full blood count)and see if you can't take a few days leave to rest? Also have a look at http://www.helpguide.org/mental/burnout_signs_symptoms.htm

2
Posted by: Gary | 2010/10/13

I am 52, my taste and smell is becoming less and less by the days

Reply to Gary
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/13

Hi Sue